Saturday, May 7, 2011

Still knocking-off

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions that I've gotten in my attempt to knock off this design:
I've incorporated many of your suggestions into this next muslin attempt.  I changed the grain lines (green arrows) and "slash-and-spread" lines (pink lines) so they were going the same way that the drapes I want  go in the design.
Although I really like the resulting dress and will wear it a lot it still doesn't have the long diagonal draping in the blue middle piece that I want.  My method of adding draping with "Slash-and-Spread" does not seem to be working.

I am now re-thinking the entire cut of the Blue piece.  Instead of being curved to fit I am going to try making it a long straight piece (beneathe the neck and sleeve cutout) and sewing it to the curved pieces on each side.
Do you think that will work?  Please continue to give me any suggestions you might have.
                                                                             
                                                                          
                                                            

4 comments:

  1. Fascinating! You didn't show us the one-piece striped attempt before you cut it up, but I wonder if you aren't throwing yourself off the track by differentiating the three pieces? Here is another version of the same dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the pale blue pice looks pretty good in this version, Peg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think the straight piece would accomplish the drape of the original dress.

    This particular version though, I think I'd attach a stay or strong elastic or something similar from the bottom corner of the light blue piece to your right underarm. (Underneath it all, of course.) It would take some experimentation to get the tension right, but it would add some draping interest to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peg - I miss you! You haven't given up, have you?

    ReplyDelete