Wednesday, August 7, 2013

31 Outfit Challenge--#11

Here is the latest outfit in my knitted/crochet items challenge.

This project was my most time-comsuming and challenging yet, and I loved making it.  It is actually my entry as a "swatcher" into the knitting design contest called http://thefiberfactor.com/ being held by Skacel Yarn company. There are 12 actual designers who are contestants in the 6 month contest and they are given a different design challenge each month. Followers who are not actual contestants but want to complete the challenges are called "Swatchers" and there is even a section on their web page for us!(and some sort of prize)

They are now on Challenge 3 which is called "Blank Slate". They were sent 15 skeins of the beautiful yarn called KENZIE by HIKOO and could make anything they want. You can read more about what the entries will be judged on at their website.

I was able to get some of the same yarn, but in a different colorway (the actual contestants had to use a beige color). My colorway is called "Bayberry" and is a wonderful rich tweedy orange.

Since I wanted a complete outfit I immediately went shopping for this soft challis in fall colors to go with it.

I decided to do a "sampler" sort of sweater and started with a simple form made out of rectangles for the back, sides and arms. I divided those up into smaller rectangles and made those with over 25 different lace and texture patterns with diagonal lines. I have recently begun experimenting with joining crochet and knitting in the same piece and did so on this. The body is done with knit motifs and the arms and front band with crochet.

Here are some of the crochet and knit pattern books I used to research and find diagonal designs:


Here are some close up pictures of the diagonal lace blocks in my sweater:

I wanted to stay with the diagonal line motif so chose this pattern for my skirt (the version with all the points at the bottom)

Here is a "caught in the wind" shot where you can really see those diagonal points!
I am definitely ready to start my fall knitting and sewing.  More later!

12 comments:

  1. Sweater is just beautiful! Love the combination of knit/crochet. Goes so well with the new skirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Just found your blog and happy to see another crocheter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous sweater! I am in awe of your many talents: to conceive unique ideas, to make beautiful choices to enhance them, and to use many different skills to manifest them. You are a walking wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words Carol. Hope this goes into your email as I couldn't find a contact point on your profile.

      Delete
  4. Just love the look of this sweater, with all of its intricate panels! Your placement of patterns is just perfect! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous sweater!!! And the colors in that entire outfit are SO YUMMY. It's actually grey and raining here in SF today and I just want to climb into your outfit and have some cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shams! tho it would be miles too big for you these days. I wished I was in SF yesterday when taking the pics. It was so hot and sticky here could barely stand to wear it. STILL hoping to come someday!

      Delete
  6. That sweater is gorgeous! and I love the how the skirt moves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Peg, that looks really amazing. I don't crochet garments, but your garment sure makes me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sweater Peg...it is simply amazing....I love the concept of knitting & crocheting together...as always inspired to try it too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing sweater. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete