Monday, November 18, 2013

Need Closing Suggestions!



Vogue 8954---The wonderful vest in the latest Vogue patterns designed by Marcy Tilton. Marcy gives a great tutorial for making the vest on her blog and has just completed another one in leather---yum!



I made mine in a good quality polar tech and left the serged seams on the outside. I used some grommet and studs belting around the bottom and now am trying to decide how to close it. I would like to have something silver or black and industrial looking but that is as far as I have gone, and am hoping some of you readers can help me with ideas.  Do I want to use buttons, pin(s), chains, ties ????

If you read Sham's Blog you might have noticed in her last post that she went to the Hardware Store for her next project and I can't wait to see what that looks like! I know she likes this vest and wonder if she is closing it with hardware???    Show, Shams, Show!

Anyway, here are some pictures of me wearing it different ways to help you picture what kind of closing I want:
T
This is actually the first piece in a "Travel Wardrobe" I am making for a trip in a couple weeks. The whole wardrobe is planned around this scarf/wrap/shawl that I made from a pattern from Stephen West. He is to knit designs what the Tilton sisters are to sewing----always something different and unusual. If you are a member of Raveltry you can look up the many versions under the pattern name "Color Craving" (Ravelry.com is worth joining even if you aren't a yarnie)
This "Wrap" is over 6 feet long and the "short" side of the triangle is almost a yard wide! I am making a coat to wear under it as part of my wardrobe.  Stay tuned for more later and please let me know how you think I should close my vest!

9 comments:

  1. This is such and interesting an cool pattern! I love all the seaming and unexpected details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy and good luck on the Fabric Mart finale this week!

      Delete
  2. What a great color combo, Peggy! And, no, my trip to the hardware store had nothing to do with this project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fun iteration of that vest, and I like the added decorative trim... if it was me I would probably go to the hardware store, the good one downtown that has lots of bins of obscure things, and do some combination of small snap hook and dee rings, attached to the vest with either bits of black leather or black canvas strapping...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peg. Sorry, I'm no help on the closure; I'm not always very creative in that area. I do think you vest came out great (even minus the closure) and that scarf is spectacular! I must check out his work on Ravelry. I get so much inspiration from that site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Now I want a fleece version too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. IMHO I like the vest left open as in your first picture so no closures needed. The fleece drapes in a very flattering shape for the "open look".

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color as well as the black trim? that you have added. Maybe some superlarge black snaps that call back to the black grommety trim you used? It's hard to make a decision, because your vest can be worn in several different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peggy, you really look great! It's a terrific pattern and it really suits you and your style (from what I've seen on your blog). I was thinking you might try large black snaps, too. One advantage is they don't weigh anything - so even if you want to accent the vest with edgier hardware, you can use it as you choose, knowing the snaps have got you covered and don't weigh the piece down. I love the scarf, too! I can't wait to see what you do with the final closures.

    ReplyDelete